Monday, July 5, 2010

Pain pays off

Working through the next bit of training after the coteau race seemed to be interesting obstacle on the flight home. Not knowing how long it would take for my legs to recuperate after the deep fatigue from one of the hardest bike experiences of my life was a big question in my head.

It's safe to say that saturday's Mechosin ride was a great indicator of my bodies ability to respond to the stress. With a hard lake swim that morning, matt and I put in some good work trying to drop JP and Aaron from our feet a few times, with some success and a great workout for everyone. This took a bit out of the tank for sure. From Thetis we rode to Mechosin for our 15 minuteish loop with 2 climbs and a respectable vertical. I could feel some fatigue riding out but aerobically was 100%. The workout was 12mins effort, 4 mins easy, X 3. We grouped up; Matt, Connor, and JP were with me and we got started. I was expecting to be just hanging on for this loop as Connor is a horse when it comes to hills and the rolling ascent is a tad harder for me when i'm packin a few extra pounds at 170ish. To my surprise though I ended up having to wait for the guys after the first climb and by the end of the workout just went solo: thanks Kanute. So I can confidently say I've reached a level I wasn't at before and it's an awesome feeling. Pain pays off, this next race in Saskatoon feels like an excellent opportunity for me to show it.

No comments:

Post a Comment